Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Memento

 


Croaking Frog

wood, acrylic paint

2" x 2.5" x 2.25"



This sculpture is meant to represent my family vacation to Puerto Rico when I was young, where I visited my great-grandmother in her home. Throughout the places we visited, many gift shops and tourist locations often sold frog figurines sculpted from wood, each one painted with vibrant colors. These frogs appeared everywhere, from bobbleheads, to fans, to standalone figures. The type that I most remember are guiro rasps, commonly known as “croaking frogs.” These are a type of hollow, wooden instrument, though they don’t always take the shape of a frog. When you run a stick against the ridges along a croaking frogs back, it makes a sound similar to a “ribbit” — hence the name. I wanted to represent the shape of this instrument in the sculpture, and I wanted to choose rich and vibrant colors.

When staying in my great-grandmothers house, my bed was right by a window. Every night, through this window, I could see fireflies outside of the window. Of course, this was coupled with the sound of croaking frogs. I used yellow and blue paint on this piece to represent the fireflies that I saw against the night sky outside of that window.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Park Sculpture

  Captured Rainforest Wood, acrylic paint, model trees, air dry clay, Winsor and Newton ink, string lights, faux leaves, fabric, wire 15.5&q...